Weekend & Weekday Masses
Sunday Mass is live-streamed on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/basilicaofstmaryoftheimmaculateconception/
You do not have to have a facebook account in order to view our livestream events.
Weekday Masses on Tuesday and Friday at 12:10 in the Church Hall.
WEEKLY MASS REGISTRATION
Sunday September 27, 2020
Please reserve a seat for this week's upcoming 9:00 AM Mass.
Date: 09/27/2020 (Sun.)
Time: 9:00am - 11:00am EDT
Location: The Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
Related files: Returning to Church and What to Expect
Please click on the Link below to signup Mass on Sunday September 27, 2020
Message From Fr. Jim
Passing On Our FAITH!!!
Dear Friends and Family of the Basilica,
When I was newly ordained, I lamented to a good friend that I was struggling with time management. I was failing to accomplish everything that I needed to do. Returning phone calls and emails to friends went on the back burner and I never seemed able to get to them. My prayer life was even suffering. She told me that my problem was not with managing my time but with prioritizing my day. She had noticed that I prioritize everything based on urgency instead of importance. Wise lady! There is seldom a sense of urgency about praying or calling a friend, but they are among the most important things we can do.
In times like these we are most grateful for our faith. The hope that comes from knowing Jesus is unsurpassed by anything that can be taught in school. When it seems as though we are forsaken or forgotten by others, we stay strong knowing that our Lord never abandons us! He has not brought us this far to leave us now. It is of utmost importance that we stay strong in faith. It is of equal importance that we pass that faith on to our children.
Catechesis is more than simply “Religious Education”. It is the passing on of the faith from one generation to the next. We stand on holy ground that was made fertile by the people who made sure we had a strong faith. There were certainly more urgent things in life, but to them, nothing was more important. I give thanks to God for everyone that brought me to this holy and fertile place. My parents, my family, my teachers. They knew what I would need to build my character as I grew into a man and they made sacrifices to ensure I had it.
Children today need a strong connection to their faith and their church even more than we did. I know that this time of separation from each other is difficult and we can sometimes forget or neglect that which is most important: prayer, exercise, compassion, peace and mercy, catechesis. We are all struggling. It is easy to put off doing those things because there are so many things that are more urgent. Nothing is more important.
Please take a minute and register your child(ren) for our Catechetical program here. It is how we pass on the importance of faith.
Bruised But Not Broken
There are no upcoming scheduled events.
Friday: 9:00 - 12 Noon
1000 Holt Street
Norfolk, VA 23504
2020 Holy Days of Obligation
Holy days of obligation are days set aside by the Church when the faithful attend Mass. In addition to Sundays, the days observed as holy days of obligation in the United States are:
- January 1st – Mary, Mother of God - New Years Day Mass will be @ 10 AM
- May 21st – Ascension of Our Lord
- August 15th – Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Abrogated
- November 1st – All Saints
- December 8th – Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- December 25th – Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Mass held on these days will be at 12 Noon and 7:00 pm
Good Morning and welcome to our parishioners gathered here and those joining us at home on this 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time.
- You are asked to pray for those who are sick or homebound.
- We ask that you remember in your prayers those who have died recently especially: Cheryl McKoy, the sister of Gary McKoy. This morning’s Mass is being offered for the soul of: Malcolm Clarke.
- Today is Catechetical Sunday with the theme of “I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you.” Parents are reminded to complete the Catechetical Program Registration online. Today from 11am-12pm you can pick up your child's Religious Education Faith Kit. If you cannot make it today, you can pick it up from the office Tuesday -Thursday from 10am-2pm.
- The Basilica Confirmands will celebrate in the Rite of Confirmation on Wed., Sept. 23rd at 7pm. The Parishioners are invited to join the Confirmands, sponsors and parents in completing their rite of initiation by Live Stream.
Return to Mass Guidelines - https://tinyurl.com/returntomassguidelines
Follow the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception
Basilica Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/BSMICFacebook
Basilica Website: https://www.basilicaofsaintmary.org/
Online Giving: https://tinyurl.com/onlineofferings
How, and why, to watch Mass online during coronavirus - follow the link below:
Basilica of Saint Mary Online Masses
Posted in Public Notice on 04/24/20
PUBLIC NOTICE OF INTENT TO RELOCATE INTERMENTS WITHIN THE BASILICA OF ST. ... Read More »
Faith Formation and Youth Ministry Survey
Parents, please take some time to complete the Faith Formation & Youth Survey by clicking on the link below
Sign up to Stay in Touch!
To receive email from us please click on the link below to sign up! If you are already receiving emails there is no need to sign up. Thank You!
- Ms. Angela Harris, Resource Minister
- Mrs. Barbara Wright, Director Christian Formation
- Ms. Ercelle Drayton, Director of Sustainable Ministry
- Mr. Frank Scott, Religious Education Coodinator
- Mr. Luther Adams, Sexton
- Mr. Lyndon Berry, Webmaster
- Ms. Nicole Drummond, Office Manager/Coordinator of Youth Ministry
- Mrs. Oretha Pretlow, Liturgical Coordinator
- Ms. Phyllis Gary, Bookkeeper
- Mr. Sammie Logan, Jr, Director of Liturgical Music
Food Ministry/Food Bank Fundraising Drive
Archaeological Discoveries at The Basilica of St. Mary