Weekend & Weekday Masses
Sunday Mass is live-streamed on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/basilicaofstmaryoftheimmaculateconception/
You do not have to have a facebook account in order to view our livestream events.
Weekday Masses on Tuesday and Friday at 12:10 in the Church Hall.
MASS - Sunday July 26, 2020
Mass: Sunday July 26, 2020
Please reserve a seat for this week's upcoming 9:00 AM Mass.
Date: 07/26/2020 (Sun.)
Time: 9:00am - 11:00am EDT
Location: The Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
Related files: Returning to Church and What to Expect
Please click on the Link below to signup Mass on Sunday July 26, 2020
Message From Fr. Jim
Dear Friends and Family of the Basilica,
We are constantly reminded that we are a people formed in the image of God who is a unity of diversity. Equal in majesty, equal in power, equal in love.
What is happening in our country now is the result of centuries of sin against that unity and equality. To deny a person their equality is to deny God. As someone once said, “our chickens are coming home to roost”. But we know that God is with us through all the turmoil. There are so many signs of victory that we should celebrate: All four officers responsible for the death of George Floyd are arrested and charged. Police officers throughout the land (including Norfolk’s very own Police Chief Boone) are taking a knee in solidarity with the protesters. Monuments that have long been a humiliating reminder of a dark and shameful past are being removed. These are certainly worth celebrating! Alleluia!
But these victories are battles, not the war. We know that the real enemy we fight is sin and hate in the enduring form of racism. We are ultimately not fighting for justice for George Floyd or Ahmed Aubrey or Breonna Taylor. We fight for Justice which is healing of a relationship made wrong by sin. We fight for Peace, which is the daughter of Justice. We fight for Equality in our Diversity. We fight for the Trinitarian image in which we are created. So for everyone who is marching, keep marching. Everyone who is praying, keep praying. Everyone who is advocating, keep advocating. We are encouraged by our faith which is from of old. As Isaiah still proclaims from the mountain top:
“Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is God from of old,
creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary,
and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.
He gives power to the faint,
abundant strength to the weak.
Though young men faint and grow weary,
and youths stagger and fall,
They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength,
they will soar on eagles’ wings;
They will run and not grow weary,
walk and not grow faint.” Isaiah 40:28-31
We are a people unified in diversity! We are a people who serve the God of Justice! We are a people who hope in the Lord. We will run and not grow weary, we will soar like eagles! We will not stop until the war is won. Be encouraged, stay encouraged, encourage each other.
I miss you and wait for the day that we can celebrate together in our restored Basilica.
In His Love,
Sign up to Stay in Touch!
To receive email from us please click on the link below to sign up! If you are already receiving emails there is no need to sign up. Thank You!
Posted in Public Notice on 04/24/20
PUBLIC NOTICE OF INTENT TO RELOCATE INTERMENTS WITHIN THE BASILICA OF ST. ... Read More »
Friday: 9:00 - 12 Noon
1000 Holt Street
Norfolk, VA 23504
2020 Holy Days of Obligation
Holy days of obligation are days set aside by the Church when the faithful attend Mass. In addition to Sundays, the days observed as holy days of obligation in the United States are:
- January 1st – Mary, Mother of God - New Years Day Mass will be @ 10 AM
- May 21st – Ascension of Our Lord
- August 15th – Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Abrogated
- November 1st – All Saints
- December 8th – Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- December 25th – Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Mass held on these days will be at 12 Noon and 7:00 pm
Return to Mass Guidelines - Click on the link below
Follow the Basilica of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception
- Basilica Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/basilicaofstmaryoftheimmaculateconception/?ref=aymt_homepage_pan el&eid=ARBXI_DGd_r2fRLPOqo0aIuwsAKWCLtdXJywHP0WiBZXpnAqgpBJPlJlIdEPNOhjFE7vpV7PJvJVYAu
- Basilica Website: https://www.basilicaofsaintmary.org/
- Online giving: https://www.eservicepayments.com/cgibin/Vanco_ver3.vps?appver3=Fi1giPL8kwX_Oe1AO50jRtQW2owrCiA_cb9UMZvI_d_HO3iVYxvvxhHjR fLOeq662EvVVAEjqawDomKT1pbouaG1BNqz0k94sKgHQCBDkL0=
How, and why, to watch Mass online during coronavirus - follow the link below:
Basilica of Saint Mary Online Masses
Food Ministry/Food Bank Fundraising Drive
Archaeological Discoveries at The Basilica of St. Mary
- Ms. Angela Harris, Resource Minister
- Mrs. Barbara Wright, Director Christian Formation
- Ms. Ercelle Drayton, Director of Sustainable Ministry
- Mr. Frank Scott, Religious Education Coodinator
- Mr. Luther Adams, Sexton
- Mr. Lyndon Berry, Webmaster
- Ms. Nicole Drummond, Office Manager/Coordinator of Youth Ministry
- Mrs. Oretha Pretlow, Liturgical Coordinator
- Ms. Phyllis Gary, Bookkeeper
- Mr. Sammie Logan, Jr, Director of Liturgical Music
There are no upcoming scheduled events.